Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I gave my first to Michael (the other one)

Local Anaesthetic, that is. Today we had Intro to Surgery. Needles. Ugh.

It went like this, we had to cycle from Giver to Receiver and finally Support. Giver administers the LA, Receiver sits in the chair squeezing the Supporter's hand, while receiving the LA from the Giver. For everyone, it was our first time administering a Local Anaesthetic. Butterflies in the stomach initially. But when u were done, u feel a great sense of achievement. As Julia put it rather euphorically, "this is one of my To Do Things before i die - to administer a local anaesthetic!!".

I gave my first to Furmaniak. He is "the other" Michael in class.

I have problems receiving needles (imagine how i felt at the hospital two weeks back. i almost cried. really.). Because ur receiver becomes your supporter, I had Michael as my support. My heart started racing even before the needle went through my skin. I held my breath and Michael held my hand. He tried to talk to me about my weekend but I couldnt concentrate on the conversation - my mind was with the other end of my anatomy.

All of a sudden came a "Opps, i'm sorry! I'm so sorry!". That was something you didnt wanna hear in injection class. But well, shite happens. The needle hit my bone. I numbed Michael's toe... and now his hand.

So that was that. It was done and it wasnt that all that bad. Now i just have some residual soreness in the toe.

Btw did i mention that Furmaniak is my personal favourite in class? The order wasnt plotted though.


(picture from La Trobe Uni's Podiatry Photo Library)

6 comments:

Vandalin said...

I wonder who took the picture... the supporter?

The order wasn't plotted by you. Maybe it was plotted by Michael?

Who knows, you might even end up liking needles before the course is over.

Marabelle said...

I ripped the picture off another podiatry school's website.

I may get hooked on giving injections, but I will never come to terms with needles in me.

XChemStudent said...

u almost lost me with 'giver', 'receiver', 'supporter' names. but i think i got what u were tryin to say. heh. some simple diagrams might help non-med ex-Chem students like me. hehe. hope that's not askin for too much! :P

Marabelle said...

Hi Qi! ok some diagrams next time!

~andrina~ said...

Haha.. I guess it's different being the receiver & giver. The giver usu thinks it's no biggie (think of my Mum drawing blood or injecting stuff on her patients) and the receiver is just ultra-sensitive (all senses on high-alert)...haha.. waiting for the needle to break the skin against your basic instinct to retract.

Marabelle said...

yup u just wanna withdraw and get out of that room. but in all of these cases, u cant back out just like that. Scardy cat! thats me... and u! ;)