Sunday, March 25, 2007

Weekend bits

Hi peeps~

I'm here with my entry again which I will attempt to write at least weekly.

Anyway, I didn't really do much over the weekend except I had dinner with 2 other friends at Vivo City at the place called Bosses Restaurant (I don't think there's "'s") on Friday. Anyone wanna guess the Chinese translation? It's called Hei She Hui....*lol* I'm afraid the food isn't as interesting as the name though. It serves stuff like La Mian, Xiao Long Bao, Soups and a lot more but the La Mian the three of us had were really mediocre. In that aspect, Crystal Jade would win hands down. In the round of the Xiao Long Bao, CJ gets another vote over the Bosses because the skin was really too thick though the presentation was pretty good. The deep fried eel was probably the best of the lot we had. Had a hard time figuring out where to next. Even though it was 9.30, nobody really wanted to go home since it was Friday. Somehow, we ended up at Cafe del Mar (I hope I got the spelling right...) at Sentosa...*haha*... yeah I ended up driving across the waters to have drinks. Loads of people were there... a lot of Caucasians especially. I don't know if you guys have been there but it's on Siloso beach though the place has its own little pool for patrons who wanna take a dip. The outdoor ambience there was pretty good with sofa / mattress / plastic rattan chairs etc. that sorta stuff with umbrellas. You can be on the sand or on the pavement. It was a pretty cold night though. Sad to say, the drinks were so watered down. I'm afraid the bartender had no idea what he was doing or the management was really trying to save money. The trance music they were playing was initially alright at the beginning but after a while, it started to bore us. We were surviving on ambience (minus the music) and company. I think we will try some other beach bars next time...I don't think I will go back again really. Once is enough.

I popped by to explore the NTU Alumni Club on Sat and ended up having set lunch at the restaurant. Set lunch there tasted pretty alright. The place is huge with 9 floors (of which the tennis courts are on the 9th floor) but deserted. Apparently, the official opening will be in May. There's a Spa there which looked kinda interesting.... the outdoor concept deserves a visit for me... but yeah... the thing is when will I ever go back again I really don't know. I don't have the intention of joining the Alumni Club for now at least (XR, what about you?) Out of further curiousity, I stepped into a condo showroom across the Club (haha.. fang, this is right up your street. The project is One-North. The reason I went in was because I wanted to see the showrooms... nice pretty stuff. Apparently, the project is 100% sold...haha.. but they just kept the place open for people who are still interested to have a look. I guess they are either busybodies (like moi) or perhaps really keen buyers who probably could get a subsale unit...at an exhorbitant price. The thing which kinda caught my eye was their SOHO units. Kinda cool but pretty Western concept to have your bedroom overlooking your living room or in this case, your supposed work area which was next to your open concept kitchen...haha~ Floor area is small though.

Oh ya... remember I said I wanted to get braces? I went for a consultation at my dentist on Sat....just a 45 min information getting session with Q&A. It sounded pretty alright but I will be going for another consultation at an orthodontist... then it's the compare & contrast and weighing the pros and cons. Will keep ya updated...(I know XR wants to know the price but it's kinda complicated.... but let's say basic cost will probably be 2400 - 3600... and supplementary cost will probably come out to be another 1000 more. Anyway, I will check out the orthodontist and see how it goes.)

I watched a movie too on Sat... called Stomp the Yard. It was great and I enjoyed it. Did anyone catch it? I think it's been out for a while...just that I've been lagging when it comes to movies. *lol*

It's going to be a stressful 2.5 months coming up (Belle, you won't be the only one!). My post-doc is going on maternity leave on Wed... goodness know when her baby girl is coming but yeah...I'm going to have to handle her project on my own. *sighz* I hope this 2.5 months go by smoothly and quickly enough. Come to think of it... ever since I begun my attachment, I've been under her supervision...helping her with her project for 8 months. In another 4 months, I will start handling my own project when I start school. Now that should be exciting. In the meantime, just hope to get some positive results while she's away. I think I'm going to miss her a lot.... I hope she comes back after having her baby and not choose to sit home and be a Tai-Tai...*haha*

2 comments:

Marabelle said...

Dont get too stressed dear! we'll slog it out tgt.

I like ur food critique. makes me miss crystal jade. have u ever noticed the instructions on how to eat xiao long bao on the chopsticks wrapper? haha. it reminds me of those cheesy instructions behind koropok packs.

1 month into my 9 months here and im begining to miss asian food and snacks. Take me to down Grote Street.

~andrina~ said...

I never noticed instructions on how to eat xiao long bao... are you supposed to put the whole thing in (and burn your tongue)? I usu start off by biting a small piece off and slurping the liquid within. *lol*